Founded in 1981, the University of Macau (UM) is the only internationalised public comprehensive university in Macao, with a modern governance model. 80 per cent of its faculty members are from outside Macao. With English as the main medium of instruction, the university is committed to producing creative and socially responsible graduates with a global mindset and international competitiveness.
UM is ranked in the 301-350 bracket in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2020, with a global ranking of No 9 in International Outlook, No 37 in the THE Asia University Rankings, No 60 in the THE Asia-Pacific University Rankings, and No 42 in the THE Young University Rankings. In the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings 2021, it is ranked No 367. It is among the top 1% in Essential Sciences Indicators (ESI) rankings in eight subjects, namely Engineering, Chemistry, Computer Science, Pharmacology & Toxicology, Materials Science, Clinical Medicine, Psychiatry/Psychology, and Social Sciences, General.
UM has earned recognition for its high degree of internationalisation. 80 per cent of its faculty members are from outside Macao. The fact that English is the main medium of instruction at UM has attracted outstanding students from around the world, which in turn has created a vibrant, multicultural campus. The university constantly expands its international network and actively builds new platforms for international collaboration in order to broaden the students’ horizons. It has established collaboration agreements with more than 260 institutions of higher learning in over 33 countries and regions. UM students can choose from 168 institutions around the world for exchange programmes or overseas studies. The university also provides students with many internship opportunities, both local and overseas, in order to enhance their employability upon graduation.
UM Emblem and Motto
The emblem of UM features a five-towered crest encircled by golden rings and the name of the university in Chinese and Portuguese.
- The key on the book is the key to knowledge.
- The waves represent the university’s inland setting in the South China Sea.
- The bridge links together Eastern and Western cultures.
- On the ribbon is a Chinese motto listing the five virtues of an ideal scholar: humanity, integrity, propriety, wisdom, and sincerity.
- The colours are red for hope, blue for the joy of well-being, and gold for the advancement of humanity.
Rector and Vice Rectors
‘4 in 1’ Education Model
UM implements a ‘4-in-1’ education model to meet students’ different needs at different stages. This model consists of discipline-specific education, general education, research and internship education, and community and peer education. Inspired by the examples of world-class universities, UM introduced a residential college system to help students achieve well-rounded development. It has also established Macao’s first Honours College to produce future leaders for society, and has launched new general education courses to broaden students’ horizons and enhance their international competitiveness. The university also implements a research and internship programme to create opportunities for undergraduates to participate in scientific research projects and to give them a head start in career planning.
Faculties / Institutes
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities (FAH)
- Faculty of Business Administration (FBA)
- Faculty of Education (FED)
- Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS)
- Faculty of Law (FLL)
- Faculty of Social Sciences (FSS)
- Faculty of Science and Technology (FST)
- Institute of Chinese Medical Sciences (ICMS)
- Institute of Applied Physics and Materials Engineering (IAPME)
- Institute of Collaborative Innovation (ICI)
- Institute of Microelectronics (IME)
- Institute of Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences
- Honours College (HC)
- Asia-Pacific Academy of Economics and Management (APAEM)
- Centre for Continuing Education (CCE)
- Centre for Macau Studies (CMS)
- Centre for Teaching and Learning Enhancement (CTLE)
- State Key Laboratory of Analog and Mixed-Signal VLSI
- State Key Laboratory of Quality Research in Chinese Medicine
- State Key Laboratory of Internet of Things for Smart City